#CMAskTheJudge Episode 100: Bloody Forests

Here's Episode 100 of Cardmarket's AskTheJudge series. Each episode includes a video that poses a question regarding the rules of Magic. Watch the video, comment with your answer, and then check your work below. This week's question is about about Ashaya, the new set's most discussed mythic.

Welcome to #CMAskTheJudge! This time our judge wants to know how Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and Blood Moon interact. Comment on our video (or below) with your answer and then check whether you got it right or wrong!

ashaya - blood moon

Click here for the answer!

PhilXan(18.09.2020 15:38)(Edited: 18.09.2020 16:06)

Phew, tough one.

So I guess the main question is: does turning something into a Forest also turn it into a Basic Land - or does it just turn into a Land, period?

Without doublechecking I think Dryad Arbor is both a Forest and a non-basic Land, so that would make me thing the Quirion Dryad does not become a basic. It would then be a Land Creature - Forest Dryad, and become a Mountain when Blood Moon comes into play.

I know from Song of the Dryad that turning something into a land makes it no longer a creature.. (as a sidenote, that also means flickering Ashaya has no effect, whereas otherwise you'd be able to reset the timestamps.) Ashaya's p/t wouldn't change though, because there's still the same amount of lands on the battlefield.

So, time to check the answer and see how badly I failed. Ah, Blood Moon. Bane of rules questions everywhere..

Edit: oh, I need to check if Ashaya turns herself into a land, too.. Hold on.

Edit 2: dang it, she does. So.. She turns into a Mountain too and loses all other abilities. Which - hah! - does *not* mean the Dryad changes back into a creature because of the layer system.

That's all I got. Let's check.

Edit 3: Okay, just read the answer. I missed the part about Ashaya et al remaining creatures. Could you explain how this differs from the Song of the Dryad case I mentioned?

MartinaT
amrtina(18.09.2020 16:28)

@PhilXan
Song of the dryad specifically states that the enchanted permanent loses all card types, subtypes, and colors it previously had. Blood moon only affects the lands, and therefore does not change creature portion of the card, meaning that the card stays creature. I actually explained that in detail last year here:
Https://www. Cardmarket. Com/de/Magic/Insight/Articles/CMAskTheJudge-Episode-55-Dryad-Arbor

As for your question "does turning something into a Forest also turn it into a Basic Land - or does it just turn into a Land, period?", if the card doesn't specifically say basic land, then it's just a land, without any added supertypes.

BTW, I hope that this article is more up to your liking than the previous one :)

PhilXan(18.09.2020 16:52)

Amrtina Song actually doesn't say that: it just reads "Enchanted permanent is a colorless Forest land." So I'm still curious what the difference is.

Thanks for the clarification on the Land/Basic Land question. (Funny how that means you could theoretically have a Quirion Dryad that's also a Basic Forest, if the right card were printed.) I'll definitely check out your article for the creature/land topic.

And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode :) thanks for making it!

MartinaT
amrtina(18.09.2020 18:41)

@PhilXan
It says "Enchanted permanent is a colorless Forest land.", meaning that the card type is set to just land, card subtype is set to just forest, and the color is set to colorless. That means that anything else written in those categories gets overridden.

Blood moon just overrides the card subtype for nonbasic lands, meaning land-related subtype and not creature-related one.

PhilXan(18.09.2020 21:45)

@amrtina

Aaah, got it. Thanks :)

yoram(18.09.2020 12:45)(Edited: 18.09.2020 12:48)

So, ive speculated with some friends about that. A friend of mine said, Ashaya shrinks to only the size of the number of basic lands you control.
Another said, nothing happens. Im pretty unsure what happens, my opinion is that Ashaya could even die completly, but im not a judge

Edit: right, but for the wrong reason xD

MartinaT
amrtina(18.09.2020 12:51)

@yoram the important part here is to recognize */* as an ability :)