#CMAskTheJudge Episode 118: Boasting Beast

Welcome to Episode 118 of Cardmarket's AskTheJudge series. Each episode includes a video that poses a question regarding the rules of Magic. Watch the video, comment with your answer, and then check your work below. This week's question is about the new boast ability and one peculiar interaction …

Welcome to #CMAskTheJudge! This time our judge wants to know if you can activate Varagoth's boast ability when Alesha puts it onto the battlefield already attacking. Comment on our video (or below) with your answer and then check whether you got it right or wrong!

varragoth alesha

Click Here for the Answer!

11 Comentarios

alejandrobande(20.02.2021 14:19)

It is the same as winota and legion warboss, the 1/1 token generated by the warboss comes into play attacking but is not declared as an attacker, therefore the winota ability is not triggered.

This comment was deleted.

CyberDevil(20.02.2021 19:41)(Edited: 20.02.2021 19:45)

Alejandrobande, Legion Warboss creates the token at the beginning of combat, so you should get a trigger.
Skyknight Vanguard creates its token on attack, and was (maybe?) played in the same deck!

alejandrobande(21.02.2021 10:24)

CyberDevil Yes, you are absolutely right, I wanted to refer to the vanguard skynight. Thanks :)

Sparda619(20.02.2021 08:20)

Can you destroy Varragoth with spells like Kill Shot? It's attacking but has not attacked?

MartinaT
amrtina(20.02.2021 11:01)

Sparda619, yes you can! It's an attacking creature, it just never attacked.

ClassixX(19.02.2021 21:57)

The creature is returned attacking. Boast requires the creature to have attacked. In Magic "To attack" means to be declared an attacker. The returning creature was never declared an attacker, thus it never actually "attacked".

MtgBehelit(19.02.2021 12:23)

But the ruletext is when it "attacked this turn" and it attacked this turn. Alesha´s ruletext is saying return it "attacking". I think it would be more fun if you could activate boast and it should not be OP or not ?

MartinaT
amrtina(19.02.2021 12:50)

MtgBehelit it didn't attack this turn :) to attack means to be declared as an attacker, and the beast wasn't declared at any point - it was simply put on the battlefield attacking. You can only activate boast if you actually declare the creature as attacking.

Jessitrucs(19.02.2021 11:37)

I don't comment very often but I would like to say thanks a lot for your work on this Ask the judge Series !
I follow it since the 20 th episode or something like that, and it helps me to progress in rulling ^^ I'm also following a course on judge adademy and it's cool to have new content to train

MartinaT
amrtina(19.02.2021 12:48)

@Jessitrucs thanks a lot! I'm always happy to hear that it's useful, and if you have any questions always feel free to hit me up :)